Saturday, April 12, 2008

Vicky and I


I met my cousin Vicky just some years ago in my adolescence while being on vacation in Kalamata, the hometown of our families, under weird but certainly funny circumstanes-in the house of a mad 90-year-old aunt named Katina...
The rest is just history...lol
We spent the whole weekend together on the beach, under the sun talking observing each other and trying to realize if we could really be cousins..
That's when this relationship had just started and i could never then think that this would really make an impact on me years later when I decided to go on exchange in Amsterdam and get acquainted with the Dutch culture..
So, until then we were just spending some summer weekends in Greece together as she was coming here every summer to absorb some Greek sun..
When I started thinking the possibilty of going on Erasmus in Ams a genuine contact was about to begin on line via msn thus making me familiar with the globalized collunication means of internet for the first time..lol Greeks are always late but that's not my topic today..
What happens when u start sharing your everyday life and thoughts with sb u had just been a distant relative of yours and would turn out to be sth more than an ordinary friend?!
For the period of 5 months while it was all settled about my exchange semester in Ams that would turn out to be a whole year we had developped this daily contact by writing long emails and sharing our experiences and expectations..
So the time had come and I arrived in the most beautiful and cosy city I d been in my life and for the first time living away from my home and the security that my parents had been providing me with so far..
My journey was just about to begin and of course by then I didn't know that it'd be maybe the most crucial stage of my life..
I will always remember the first day Vicky had come to pick me up from the airport..Athens was unbearably hot and I had just arrived in the country of non-stop rain and cold..lol
We were both so crazy that day..she was trying to make me feel really intimate with everything that was extremely new to me but this was not difficult as Ams is the cosiest place on earth..
U can just feel or thing anything u want..U are just free to explore who u really are and find your true self..
And this was MAGIC!
A Great indeed relationship had already begun and of course we were involved in it but hadn't realized it at that moment..
That year, also, it was Vick's escape from her small hometown and the start of her adult life in Ams as a student ready to experience life and uni-life..
So it was for both of us a fresh start!
And many things happened for both of us there and we kinda grew up there and changed a bit inside..
I want to dedicate this post to my beloved cousin Vick
Without u it wouldn't be the same
Thank U for
all the help u ve given me so far
all the unforgettable moments we shared in Amsterdam, Hoopfdorp, Haarlem, Hilversum, Kinkerstraat, Rombout, Sarphati...
all the crazy things we did in Paris, Prague and Vienna
Thank U for
introducing me into the magnificent Dutch country
teaching me how to say good morning in Dutch
showing me Adam and all its secrets
guiding me how to cycle a bike in the Netherlands
encouraging me abt being the shortest person around the tallest people on earth
making me feel like home
I felt special in Adam and U were of great importance in it..
I miss U tons and Love U so much
There is no greater cousinbond than ours in the whole world!

No comments: